Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Back on the lecture circuit

 
Last week I was invited to talk to the animation students at Newport Film School by my old college chum & Resident Cartesian Theologian James Manning.  I hope my random ramblings were of some use to the next generation of UK animators.
Lecturing is a great way to force you to focus on your process & approach.  It helps you clarify your thoughts on why and how one works.  I'm sure if I keep doing it I'll eventually make some kind of sense.
I'll be doing my presentation on Ronald Searle's work in animation & film titles at the Cartoon Museum, London on March 30th.  

Interesting article here on comicbook artists finding work as live-action storyboard artists & directors.

9 comments:

jessica kate leslau said...

Hi Matt, I was at your lecture at Newport University last week and can safely say you were nothing but inspiring! Your work is absolutely wonderful, and everyone was buzzing after the talk, including myself. Thank you for coming; I was really inspired hearing and seeing your work, aswell as being able to see your inspirations too. Wish you all the best. Thank you again!

Anonymous said...

well done Dr Jones! I'm inspired everytime I'm near you.

Matt Jones said...

Wasn't quite as glam as lecturing in Florence mind!

edhead said...

Haha I was at Newport back in the day when it was called UWCN - real shame you didn't come down there and give us the kick up the backside none of the tutors could do and tell us what we needed to do - all I ever got encouraged to do was 'make my mark making more expressive....' Hmmmmm - very useful! Luckily sitting next to you at Ulis was much better, and you don't know this, but I put a straw in your brain and have been syphoning off golden information ever since............. the straw's still there and you didn't realise...! till now.. oops...

Nima said...

Your blog is very beautiful and your drawing are very alive.You have a great skill to tell story. Bravo!!!

pmerew said...

Mr. Jones, I'm sure you saw this, but just in case you didn't:
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/visual_arts/article7032528.ece

may I call you Mr. Jones?

Matt Jones said...

Dr.Jones if you please-

Olivier Ladeuix said...

great, I am looking forward to the lecture in London

Matt Jones said...

Ed, please remove your straw at once!

See you there Olivier.